CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

6/28/2005

The top 100 banned books

For various reasons, some books are looked at as being unacceptable to read in certain locations, schools, churches, homes. Here is a list of the top 100 banned books according to the ALA (American Library Association) from 1990-2000.

I must add that I've read many of these books, and consider some to be among the best books I've ever read. I'm not trying to promote an uprising, but just point out something I found while surfing. We say we live in a country that is free, yet...

Also, from the ALA website, which I found this at, a quote from author Judy Blume>

It's not just the books under fire now that worry me. It is the books that will never be written. The books that will never be read. And all due to the fear of censorship. As always, young readers will be the real losers.”

Here is the list of the top 15...

1. Scary Stories (Series) by Alvin Schwartz
2. Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling
8. Forever by Judy Blume
9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
10. Alice (Series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
11. Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
12. My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
14. The Giver by Lois Lowry
15. It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris

the rest can be found on this page:

3 Comments:

At 3:41 AM, Blogger Redmaryjane said...

I don't think that Judy Blume will have to worry about "unwritten" (or unpublished, for that matter) books. Banning books can only boost redearship (if not sales, heh), and I am so grieved that there are about a hundred or so banned books.

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Mesmur said...

It's interesting to see how many of these top banned books are also on the list of the top 100 books for kids, which I'll be posting in a few days.

Thanks for your input.

 
At 11:45 PM, Blogger Mesmur said...

Kris, I appreciate all that you have to say. I feel the same way, but you just explained it better than I did. I agree that they weren't necessarily banned, but highly criticized anyway.

yes, To Kill A Mockingbird is one of my favorite books too, and there are tons on that list of books that I regard very highly.

The books have been banned in certain places though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home