CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

7/22/2006

We left you at the door

We Left You At The Door

by James Singleton

We took you down to school today.
You're just beginning now;
Although this year you're five years old,
You seem so young somehow!

We didn't take you all the way,
For we'd been told before,
"Don't go into his room with him,
Just leave him at the door."

Up to this time we've always gone
Together everywhere,
And we have had a lot of fun
While traveling here and there;

But we well knew before it came,
We're parted more and more.
So many times we will stand outside
And leave you at the door.

You're growing up so very fast
It's hard to keep in step;
The fact of changing years is hard
for parents to accept.

You'll have to walk your path alone
No matter what's in store;
We'll bring you up to life's classroom,
Then leave you at the door.

While you were ours these tender years,
We treasured every day,
Full knowing that the time would come,
When you would go your way;

And though this love will still remain,
Within our heart's deep care,
Our eyes will sting to see you go
And leave us at the door!

4 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, Blogger Philip Howard said...

I know what you mean.

:)

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that poem is really sad!

I never plan to leave my kids "at the door." Not at the door of a school, and not at the door of life. As a parent, I plan to be here for them throughout their lives, whenever they need me. I will not let them feel abandoned!

I am a former classroom kindergarten teacher, and I have seen too many children devastated when their parents leave them 'at the door' that first day of kindergarten. Some teachers will tell you..."they get used to it," but I believe that it has a lasting impact on the parent/child bond.
This poem is exactly the reason why I choose to homeschool my own children.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lvoe this poem! As a teacher I understand the need of walking throught that 'door' on your own to develop a sense of your own independence. As a parent, I know how hard it is to do! The classroom is the child's workplace, and leaving them at the door shows respect for their ability to handle things, and a belief in your ability to prepare them for the step. A great poem.

 
At 3:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So wonderful! I taught kindergarten 31 years. So relatable as I remember wonderful moms and dads leaving their children in my care. What an honor!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home