CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

8/08/2005

Read to and with your children!


I'm naive.

There I said it.

I would expect that most parents know the imporantance of reading to your children while they're growing up. NOT saying that you don't know this.

I wonder though how many parents actually do read to their children on a regular basis...

Here are 10 good reasons to read to your child... Feel free to add more!

1) It gets a child's imagination developing.
2) It makes them enjoy stories. What an easy way to travel, go to a made-up place in your mind.
3) It models reading, and makes them interested in it. "If mommy or daddy read to me, it must be important!"
4) It develops another connection between the child and parent, and this can become a special time.
5) It helps put them to sleep! (At least sometimes)
6) It promotes a good, safe hobby. I'd choose books over video games anyway.
7) It develops their brain.
8) It advances them academically, and prepares them for every subject in school.
9) It's fun!
10) There are fantastic stories to be found, that both parent and child will enjoy, and love.

7 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Blogger Dree said...

It doesn't matter how basic that message is... it needs to be said over and over and over again. Great post!

 
At 4:54 PM, Blogger Rosemary said...

I agree, keep saying it! In this electronic age, when parents can give a child an electronic toy that will read the book to them, parents may not realize just how important this is.

Glad you posted this list, and I agree with it completely, both as a parent, and as a retired teacher.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

This is one of THE most important things a parent can do with and for their children ... READ to them! If children grow up loving to be read to more than likely they will grow up loving to read.

Not only that but it helps to develop a wonderful bond with wonderful memories between parent and child ... or grandparent and child ... or whomever is reading and child!

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a child, I wanted to read, but my mother would tell me to go outside and play during the day. I would sneak out of the house with my books and find a place, out of sight to sit and read. I encourage my children to read when and wherever they want. I have a daughter now, who treasures their books and my son seems to be on the same track. Reading is so incredibly important. Wonderful Post.

 
At 12:49 PM, Blogger The Library Lady said...

You forgot a very important point--it's something that you can do for free. All you need is a library card!

I find that teachers do not promote the library to parents at all, and a lot of them don't use it themselves. But there's a world beyond Amazon.com and the bookstores with the cappuchino machines and it's available even to the poorest of students.....

 
At 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post ties in very well with my current read: The Reading Bug - Paul Jennings;)

My colleague once said: "I was such a terrible kid running around and bothering everyone when my mom soon started reading to me, mellowed me down and got me hooked on it till this very day!"

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger carrie said...

i was always a big reader as a child and i read to my son throughout his early childhood, but he is still nowhere near the reader i was. he's way more social and outgoing. i think it has a lot to do with personality type. i am an introvert.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home