CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

7/28/2005

Coaching and Teaching

I started coaching volleyball before I started teaching. I was lucky enough to get a job coaching high school volleyball while going to college. It was a way to make some extra money, work on my teaching skills, and be around the sport that I love.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Looking back at that time period, I realize now that I really learned a lot of great teaching strategies, and a lot of patience. Coaching in a way has molded me into the type of teacher that I am. I guess in essence, I look at it as a competitive thing. I want all my students to succeed, and I challenge myself, and them, to achieve goals. Just the same with volleyball. I have had much success in regard to wins and losses. I have also had players tell me that they learned to love the game, which means a lot to me.

In volleyball, the things that I stressed were that if we use our heads, and play smart, we already have an advantage. Then we go on to strategies that will give us more advantages, which of course involves fundamentals and skill-building.

In teaching I go through similar conversations. "Yes, you will need to know how to multiply, because you're going to be working on more complex problems next year." A very important aspect in the classroom, at least for me, is a positive attitude. Believing something can be accomplished.

I feel the same way on the volleyball court. The team has to believe in me, and I in turn come up with techniques that will get us above the competition.

I really do feel that coaching and teaching help each other out. I know for sure that coaching has molded me into a more passionate teacher. And I do feel that my teaching strategies have helped me get my ideas across more thoroughly on the court.

7 Comments:

At 6:50 PM, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

I think coaching and teaching are very much alike ... the goal IS the same ... to impart knowledge about a particular subject.

Valuable lessons can be learned from each that can carry over and help both techniques.

 
At 2:53 AM, Blogger Get Knotted Paracord said...

Hmmmmmmmmmm...

I wonder if you can help me with an on going "discussion" we are having at our youthgroup at church....
In Volleyball are you allowed to kick the ball?

 
At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just dropping by. You've got excellent links may I add you?

 
At 11:59 AM, Blogger Mesmur said...

You can add me to your links...

thanks

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks tachizuno!

 
At 1:54 PM, Blogger Mesmur said...

And puppetdude, you can't kick the ball in volleyball, at least when I play, hehe.

Maybe in rec. gym or something, but I like to play by the rules.

:)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Volleyball is a sport played by two teams on a playing court divided by a net.The post is written in very a good manner and it entails many useful information for me. I appreciated what you have done here.
coaching volleyball

 

Post a Comment

<< Home