CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

7/17/2005

My All-Time Favorite Novel

I've read many books in my day, and I have many that I truly adore. But one of them sticks out for me above the rest. Luckily I get a chance now to read it in my classroom, and I can honestly say, for nearly half of my class this year, this is now their favorite book too. I'm referring to the wonderful story of Billy Colman, and his two adoring coonhounds, Old Dan and Little Ann. Of course, it's Where the Red Fern Grows.

I've read this novel so many times now, but once again this past school year, the story hit me like a ton of bricks again. I picked out some more things in the story that made me love it even more. Such well developed characters. Such a portrayal of true love, devotion, dedication, honesty, hard-work. So many good values are depicted in the novel. There is great action in many scenes, and it takes you on quite an adventure.

Wilson Rawls did a marvelous job laying out the story. It keeps you wanting more, and he gives you such visual imagery. I can picture myself in those Ozark Mountains, lying with Billy among the Sycamore trees. I can hear the baying of Old Dan as the dogs tail another elusive coon. I can hear the Illinois River as I walk among its banks.

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it, just for the pure sake of it being a fantastic read. Not to mention the fact that it'll open your mind and heart to a lovely story. If you are a dog lover like me, I can almost guarantee you'll add this as one of your top book picks.




2 Comments:

At 6:42 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

That was one of my favorite books as a child. I can remember crying deeply as I read it.

Grumpy

 
At 1:02 AM, Blogger Wildefrost said...

I LOVE this book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home