CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

10/05/2007

Homework... For what it's Worth

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Nobody generally likes to get homework. I never really cared much for it when I was in school, but I still did it, because I didn't want to get a bad grade.

What's the purpose of it though?

For me, I look at it as a follow-up to any lesson or topic we've been studying. It may be further practice, or it may be additional reference. It may ask the student to use knowledge gained from the discussion in the classroom, and sometimes it plainly asks the student to use the procedures practiced in class and utilize them away from the classroom.

There is only so much time in the classroom to cover the material. I generally have about 45 to 60 minutes for each subject in a given school day. Some days we review previous lessons, correct assignments, or dive into new topics. This takes up a majority of the time.

I do, however, usually give 5 to 10 minutes of class time to work on the assignment before they leave the room. I can honestly say though that many students do not try to get as much done as possible before they leave or before we move on.

I have always been one to suggest also that students do their homework right when they get home. Why? Well, in a logical sense, the material will be fresh in their minds, and they will be able to recall what we discussed in class better. If they wait until later evening, they will not be able to recall as much of the discussion, and the assignment will take more time.

It is also policy in my school that students in a grade do not receive more than their grade level x 10 minutes of homework per night. So, since I teach sixth grade, they shouldn't receive more than 60 minutes of homework. If I had to estimate, I would say that I give about 20-30 minutes per night, but I try not to give any on the weekends.

I do believe that homework is important, and allows the student to further enhance their education, when time is a factor.

8 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, Blogger lobo5747 said...

So, is homework still important if less than 30% of your students complete it and turn it in? What educational purpose does homework serve? Can you tell if a student mastered a skill using classwork only?

 
At 9:48 PM, Blogger Mesmur said...

You raise a point there k, is it still important if only 30 percent do it?

Well yeah, but apparently not to them.

I can tell if a student has mastered a skill using classwork only, but I also cannot achieve as much by relying on that alone.

If I used mastery as a guide, and only used classwork, most units would take much longer. There isn't time to do that with the requirements set aside these days.

Take math for instance. My state has 56 strands that I need to cover for my grade level of different areas. Some take more lessons than others to cover the multiple avenues.

My personal thoughts... at the upper elementary level into middle school... life's full of choices... they can choose to do the work or not. Many do not, and constant pushing by me isn't enough to get them out of the routine. Although I do make progress many times.

Some valid questions though...

 
At 1:19 PM, Blogger Countess Demetria said...

When I was in school I hated homework. I had such a hard time in school. I really needed help understanding how to do a lot of the homework, but I didn't have help.

It really hurt me that homework counted so much towards my grade. The medication I was on then impared my ablitiy to comprehend things.

A lot of kids need the extra help at home to be able to understand and do their homework.

Unfortunately I did't get that help and was out of school too much because of medical reasons to understand all that I heard in class.

I ended up giving up on homework because I couldn't get it!

I am glad the medication I was on then, isn't used for what I was taking it for. It is NOW used as a traquilizer!

Countess

 
At 5:39 PM, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Homework was an important part of my schooling ... and I always had to do it right after school ... unless it was Friday, in which case it could wait till Sunday.

Our own children had homeowrk and were made to do it when they got home from school.

I think I learned my most valuable lessons by doing it at home ... with my mother helping me on occasion.

Parents NEED to help their children with homework and not just let the job be done by the teachers. Schooling should be a team job .... the main lessons are taught at school ... the part where it is drilled into your head is reinforced by putting into practice at home what you learned in school.

I don't think that the problem today is that children have too much homework ... I think that they have too little. But then I'm from a totally different generation than most of you.

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the insight on homework. I'll make it a point that my fifth grader do his directly after school from now on.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Mesmur said...

The rule for my school is 10 minutes per grade, for a night. So not exceeding a total from all subjects for sixth grade of 60 minutes. I usually give 10-30 minutes.

Today, I didn't give any, and yesterday, it was just studying for a test, which most did, because they did very well today.

People learn in different ways. As long as I can see something, and try to remember it, I can usually do it. Drill and practice works for most, but for some it doesn't matter, and others it is a waste of time because they have it right away.

Thanks for posting again Kris, and thanks for the compliment. I try my best to do a good job, and I feel I always have the best intentions.

 
At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that homework is valuable and that students need to do some work at home. It keeps the parents involved with what their kids are doing. However, some kids spend an hour working on homework that other kids can do in ten minutes. Then, homework becomes stressful for the whole family. Teachers need to strive to keep homework assignments short, especially for younger children.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Gopala said...

I don't agree giving homework just for the sake of giving homework. That is why I am against compulsory homework. It should be given because there is need for it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home