CrispAds Blog Ads

Google

8/23/2005

Late Assignments


I've thought about this topic over and over throughout the years, and changed my standards and rules on Late Assignments a few times as well.

Should Late Assignments be Accepted?

Should a student receive full credit if an assignment is turned in late?

What type of deduction should be given for an late assignment?

In the past I have used two different grade systems. When I used the 11 point scale (12 point scale for some) I initially gave two days to turn in assignments if there was an absence. If the student wasn't absent, they received a zero, or E for the assignment.

After that I changed my mind, and decided that doing the work was important, and some credit should be given, so I deducted 10 percent if they turned it in late.

Since then I also graded by total points, and deducted 10 percent if it is late.

I do think that doing the work is important. It's an extension of the lesson, and further enhances the skills and concepts taught. I now give them until the end of the marking period to get the work in, and only deduct 10 percent. Still I have dozens of incomplete assignments at the end of the quarter.

I also feel that it depends on the class I have somewhat. I will probably have to modify my rule on late assignments again in the future, but as for now, that is how I deal with them.

6 Comments:

At 4:47 AM, Blogger Mama Mouse said...

Things have changed since I went to school I guess. Assignments were ALWAYS turned in. Sometimes they would be late a day or two ... but they never were later than that. No student wanted to suffer the consequences of a missed assignment above and beyond a poor grade or failing grade. There was the teacher to consider ... then the fact that your parents would be told and that was usually enough.

I guess today kids don't care and worse yet, many parents don't care either. I don't think children understand that everyone at every age has a job in life. From the tiniest infant whose job it is to learn how to eat, move and talk ... to the very old, whose job it is to end leave this life and move on to the next.

When children are young it is their JOB to LEARN ... to go to school, or these days to be home schooled. Along with any job is a thing called the work ethic.

Doing homework, paying attenion in class, doing the best work possible is all part of that work ethic.

I guess children can't learn it if so many parents don't have it. It must be hard for a teacher to try and install it when many parents don't care.

I would hope that if I ever have grandchildren that they are fortunate enough to have someone like you as their teacher!

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughters school allows for sickday-late turn-ins, and if you had a problem understanding your homework, a note from mom or dad will get you some tutoring time with the teacher.
(she is now in 7th grade) But if she doesn't have her homework on time, then she gets a "no homework stamp" and loses a letter grade. To many stamps, and parents are called. Our school system frowns on absentee parents, which means we have constant communication between parents/teachers/and the students.

 
At 11:59 PM, Blogger BLOGBANK said...

The modern kid is a learning machine if given the right environment and I don’t believe that environment should be the same setting that kids have had to deal with since schools were invented. Education needs a shake up.

 
At 1:00 AM, Blogger Mesmur said...

What would you propose blogbank?

I picture my students with learning disabilities and shake my head, I have to admit...

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger lobo5747 said...

I take points off for late work, but I also allow them to turn it in. I agree that doing the work is more important than the grade they recieved on it. I have even changed my attitude since then and stopped giving homework.

 
At 10:26 PM, Blogger Musicguy said...

i never give full credit for a late assignment. they lose points for every day it is late. as long as i get the assignment, it won't be a zero.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home