Bullying - Don't ignore it!
Bullying is a problem all over. Have you ever been bullied? Hopefully not, and hopefully you haven't been the bully. In my school we've had workshops to "Bully-proof our school."
Bullying can be described as many things. It can be teasing, pushing, demanding things, harassing... and there are different levels and stages. Obviously they are all negative behaviors, and should not be tolerated because they make someone else feel bad.
A bully is described as: A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
How should you handle a bully, or a bullying situation? If you are bullied, or if you witness it, here are some steps to solve the problem:
1) Write down what happened. Include the date and time the event occurred.
2) Don't blame yourself if you're bullied. You didn't deserve it, and it isn't right.
3) Get support from your friends, but don't gather them together for revenge, or a fight.
4) Tell the bully to stop it. If you feel it's safe to do so.
5) Avoid being alone, stay in groups if possible.
6) If you see someone else being bullied, support the victim, not the bully. Tell the bully to stop it.
7) Tell a parent, teacher, adult about it, so you get some support. If you don't get the support you need, tell someone else.
8) Keep telling until the problem is solved!
9) Learn about the school/club harassment policy. If it isn't being followed, ask why it isn't.
10) If you feel scared at any time, ask to see a counselor, or ask to talk to someone.
*All these tips are courtesy of the Red Cross
Not everyone will follow the Golden Rule. But you can!
Here is a poem I found on the site Bullying Online. It sums up the feelings that are gone through. I thought it really puts things in perspective:
I am the person you bullied at school
I am the person who didn't know how to be cool
I am the person that you alienated
I am the person you ridiculed and hate
I am the person who sat on her own
I am the person who walked home alone
I am the person you scared everyday
I am the person who had nothing to say
I am the person with hurt in her eyes
I am the person you never saw cry
I am the person living alone with her fears
I am the person destroyed by her peers
I am the person who drowned in your scorn
I am the person who wished she hadn't been born
I am the person you destroyed for 'fun'
I am the person, but not the only one.
I am the person whose name you don't know
I am the person who just can't let go
I am the person who had feelings, too
And I was a person, just like you.
The poem can be found here, with some extra information from Laura, the author